Safe, Comfortable, Affordable Housing
Windsor, Connecticut
About Us Contact Us
Equal Housing Opportuity


What is Re-Examination?
Re-Examination occurs once a year for all the housing programs. This means all income and household composition is reviewed by the Housing Authority on an annual basis.

What is An Annual Inspection?
Annual Inspection (Housing Quality Standards)
Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program regulations at 24 CFR Part 982 set forth basic housing quality standards (HQS) which all units must meet before assistance can be paid on behalf of a family and at least annually throughout the term of the assisted tenancy. HQS define "standard housing" and establish the minimum criteria for the health and safety of program participants. Current HQS regulations consist of 13 key aspects of housing quality, performance requirements, and acceptability criteria to meet each performance requirement. HQS includes requirements for all housing types, including single and multi-family dwelling units, as well as specific requirements for special housing types such as manufactured homes, congregate housing, single room occupancy, shared housing, and group residences.

What is the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)?
Housing and Urban Development is one of fifty titles comprising the United States Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), containing the principal set of rules and regulations issued by federal agencies regarding housing and urban development. It is available in digital and printed form, and can be referenced online using the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR).

What is subsidized housing?
Subsidized housing refers to housing units that are funded entirely or partially by the government.

What is public housing?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 HAs. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments. (Source:

Will I have to sign a lease?
If you are offered a house or apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the housing authority. You may have to give the housing authority a security deposit. You and the Windsor housing representative should go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the housing authority's responsibilities as a landlord.

Are there any selection preferences?
Currently, there are some preferences on the Windsor Housing Authority wait lists. Based on the housing program applications are entered in by date and time received. The Ned Program is based on the age of 18 to 62 and disability.

How is rent determined?
Rent is determined based on household income. Typically, renters pay about 30% of adjusted income, or 10% of gross household income. Rent is calculated in accordance with HUD regulations. Details can be found on your lease agreement.

How long can I stay in public housing?
In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease.
If, at re-examination your family's income is sufficient to obtain housing on the private market, the housing authority may determine whether your family should stay in public housing. You will not be required to move unless there is affordable housing available for you on the private market. (Source:

What if someone in my family does not have a photo ID?
Photo IDs must be submitted by everyone in your household over the age of 18.

What if someone in my family does not have a social security number/card?
All members of your family are required to have a social security card, if they have a social security number. If you cannot find your card, or you've never had a social security number, copies of your green card, or a receipt showing you have purchased a replacement social security card will be accepted. In the chance that someone in your family does not have a social security number, a signed certification must be submitted to verify they have no number.

What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?
Birth certificates must also be submitted by everyone in your family. Purchase receipts will be accepted to show you have purchased a replacement certificate if you cannot find/do not have one.

> Welcome to the Windsor Housing Authority > Housing Programs > FAQs